- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the squash comfortably
- Halve lengthwise and remove the seeds and strings from:
- 2 butternut squash
- Arrange cut side up in the baking dish and brush with:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake until almost tender, 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the squash cool slightly
- Keep oven on
- 1/2 recipe basic bread stuffing, made with sausage and apples
- When the squash has cooled, scoop out most of the flesh, leaving 3/8-inch thick shells.
- Lightly mix the squash pulp into the stuffing mixture, breaking up the squash as little as possible
- Pile the stuffing into the squash halves
- Dot each half with:
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Bake, uncovered, until piping hot, browned and crusty on top, 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for several minutes before serving.