- In a bowl, combine chicken with all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade; let marinate for 30 minutes to an hour
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. When sizzling, add chicken pieces in batches of two or three, making sure not to crowd the pan. Fry until browned for only 3 minutes on each side. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat butter in the same pan. Fry the onions until they start to sweat while scraping up any browned bits stuck on the bottom of the pan
- Add garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute until fragrant, then add ground coriander, cumin, and garam masala. Let cook for about 20 seconds until fragrant, while stirring occasionally
- Add crushed tomatoes, chili powder, and salt. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens and becomes a deep brown-red color
- Remove from the heat, scoop the mixture into a blender, and blend until smooth. You may need to add a couple of tablespoons of water to help it blend.
- Pour the pureed sauce back into the pan. Stir the cream, sugar, and crushed kasoori methi through the sauce. Add the chicken and juices back into the pan and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and bubbling.