- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- Beat sugar and oil in a large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin.
- In another large bowl, sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir into pumpkin mixture in two additions.
- Divide batter equally between prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about one hour.
- Transfer pans to racks and cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut around the edge of the loaves and turn loaves onto racks to cool completely.