- Lightly oil six 4 to 6 ounce custard cups or ramekins
- Pour into a small bowl
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Sprinkle over the top:
- 1 envelope (2 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- Let stand for 5 minutes to soften
- Meanwhile, combine to a saucepan:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
- 1.2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Bring to a boil, stirring, over medium heat. Remove from the heat and remove the vanilla bean. Add softened gelatin and stir for 1 minute until completely dissolved.
- Stir in:
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
- Pour into prepared cups and refrigerate until firmly set, about 4 hours. If not serving at once, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of each cream and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Unmold onto plates and serve with Kumquat Compote.
- Kumquat Compote Instructions
- Slice the kumquats into rigs and remove any seeds.
- Combine in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups sugar
- Add the kumquats and simmer until tender and the sugar is dissolved—about five minutes.
- Remove to a bowl, and boil to reduce the syrup by half.
- Strain the syrup over the kumquats, cover, and refrigerate until chilled.