1Step 1 - Prepare Baked or Roasted Pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Halve, quarter, or cut into slabs the pumpkin.
- Remove any seeds and strings.
- Arrange the squash cut side up in a baking pan.
- Add 1/4 inch water to the pan and cover with foil.
- Bake until the squash is tender when pierced with a think knife, 30-45 minutes.
2Step 2 - Heat in a soup pot over medium heat:
- 3 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil.
- Add 2 large leeks, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- Cook, stirring, until the leeks are tender but not browned. About 5 minutes.
3Step 3 - Stir In
- Scrape the cooked squash flesh from the skin and stir it in.
- Add 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth.
- Up to 1 tablespoon curry powder or Garam Masala.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes to marry the flavors, stirring and breaking up the squash with a spoon.
4Step 4 - Puree the Soup
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor, until smooth.
- Return to the pot and stir in:
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth. Enough to reach desired consistency.
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
- Heat through.
- Serve garnished with croutons and/or reserved toasted seeds.