- To give the pork a smoky flavor, use smoked salt in the rub, or replace half of the paprika with smoked paprika.
- Trim off and reserve the excess fat from one 4-pound boneless pork shoulder butt or blade roast
- Rub the roast with dry rub of your choice
- The meat can be cooked at once or wrapped in 2 layers of foil and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven (or other heavy ovenproof pot large enough to hold the meat) over medium heat.
- Add the reserved pork trimmings and render until you have 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Alternatively, use 2 tablespoons of rendered bacon fat or vegetable oil.
- Add the meat and brown well on all sides. Cover the pot tightly with a lid or foil, transfer to the oven, and bake until the meat is tender enough to be shredded with a fork, 3 to 31/2 hours.
- Transfer the roast to a large baking dish or platter and skim the fat from the pan juices.
- Shred the meat with a fork and mix together with the pan juices.
- Dress and serve.